“A landscape improves the value of your home, but a garden improves the quality of your life”
Gardens designed using ecological principles make sense in today’s world: They are low impact in their use of water and resources and low maintenance. Preserving and reintroducing native species saves money and preserves the natural beauty of a site while maintaining the unique regional character of the area we live in.
Strong buying and selling points for a property are privacy, heating and cooling costs and landscaping. Preserving the ecological integrity of the site by preserving existing (native) vegetation and by using plants suited to your site conditions can save you money or increase the value of your property. New landscaping is often done with non-native trees and shrubs, many of which are invasive. Many non-native plants offer little in the way of habitat or value to our native wildlife and can disrupt the existing ecosystem.
Plant Driven Design:
- Utilizes Plants Suited to the Growing Conditions of the site
- Reduces Maintenance
- Uses fewer Resources.
- Provides Habitat for Plants and Animals
- Increases the Value of your Property
- Saves Money on Heating and Cooling.
- Provides Privacy
- Reduces Stress
“Native Plants Reflect the Beauty and Unique Character of a Region”
Winterberry (Ilex verticillata)
I PLAN IT-YOU PLANT IT!
Services include but are not limited to:
- Habitat Gardens
- Lakeshore Buffers with Native Plants
- Rain Gardens and waterside buffer gardens
- Outdoor living areas
- Perennial food gardens
- Garden Coaching
- Do you know what you want to to create but aren’t sure how to begin or finish? I can help you create a manageable game plan to achieve the goals you have for your garden
- Onsite Layout of your Design with the plants. I can also locate plants for you and work with your installer during the installation process.
- Botanical Surveys/Species Identification of both native and non-native plants including recommendations for control and removal of invasive species.
- Identifying Fauna Associations: which animals/insects utilize which plant species
- Ecological Consultation/Open Space Planning
- Custom Designed Educational Programs for your Class, Staff or Organization
- Informational Articles for Publication on gardening, horticulture, ecology and ethnobotany
- Research Services on the Ethnobotany/Botanical History Medicinal and Historical uses of plants by both Indigenous peoples and European Settlers
I am happy to travel to your area (of NY, MA or VT ) and have worked with clients in the Adirondacks , Catskills and Berkshires.
Office Hours by appt. only